Our key aim in the Pathology Department is to ensure that our clinical laboratories deliver relevant services for the diagnosis and treatment of the patients we serve. We have an emphasis on continually increasing efficiency and working to develop new innovative services that can improve patient care.
Pathology uses different areas of science to help study human disease. Our department offers a full range of services to our hospitals and also the GPs in our area.
Pathology is divided up into several specialist laboratories and our services include:
- Cellular pathology – histrology and mortuary
- Cellular pathology – diagnostic sytology
- Cellular pathology – andrology (semen fertility analysis and post vasectomy lab testing)
- Blood sciences – haematology
- Blood sciences – blood transfusion
- Blood sciences – Immunology
- Blood sciences – clinical biochemistry
- Point of care testing (POCT)
- Blood tests – Phelbotomy
Clinical governance and accreditation
We aim to give the highest quality of service. Our laboratories participate in appropriate internal quality control and recognised external quality assurance schemes. Our pathology laboratory (cellular pathology) has accreditation from the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS). We investigate any incidents and complaints thoroughly so that we can take relevant actions and improve our processes.
Our laboratories confirm to Caldicott principles and with the Data Protection Act.
All tests accredited by UKAS are listed in our schedule of accreditation for each laboratory.
ANY TESTS NOT LISTED IN THE SCHEDULES ARE NOT CURRENTLY ACCREDITED BY UKAS.
Please contact the laboratory manager for more information.