Patients with learning disabilities and autism
Our learning disability liaison team helps adult patients with learning disabilities and autism, and their carers, to access high quality care and have a positive experience in hospital.
We want individuals to feel fully supported and in control over choices relating to their care.
How we help
Our dedicated learning disability nurses provide support with emergency admissions, outpatient appointments and inpatient stays. We also help when you leave hospital, and support families and carers throughout the patient journey.
We do this by:
- making patient letters and leaflets easy to read and understand
- improving the use of patient health passports – a document which helps patients communicate their likes and dislikes
- involving carers and families in the care planning process
- training and supporting our hospital staff to help understand the individual’s needs.
8.30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday
Call: 01296 316991
Karen: 07876 231051
Catherine: 07818 646262
Coming to hospital
We have put together a set of resources for patients who may need to understand why our staff wear personal protective equipment (PPE).
- an easy read poster about why we wear PPE
- a symbol sheet explaining why people wear gloves, masks and aprons in hospital
- a printable sheet to keep with the patient and give to staff on emergency admission to hospital