National Spinal Injuries Centre nutrition and dietetics
National Spinal Injuries Centre (NSIC) dietitians provide nutritional advice and support to patients with spinal cord injuries.
NSIC dietitians have undertaken multi-centre investigations of the nutritional status and risk of malnutrition in patients with spinal cord injuries. Their findings indicate malnutrition is common in SCI patient and evidence-based nutrition intervention by dietitians can improve patients’ experience and clinical outcomes. This has led to the adoption of usage of the “Spinal Nutrition Tool” which is specialised to our patient group.
We Offer help and advice on
- Healthy eating and maintaining an overall balanced diet
- Preventing unintended weight loss and malnutrition
- Identifying if you need a prescription for oral nutritional supplements
- Artificial nutrition support
- Weight management
- Nutritional optimisation for surgery and / or wound healing
- Nutrition and bowel management
The team also provides monthly patient education sessions as well as providing training and guidance for clinical staff.
NSIC Dietetic Outpatient Service
NSIC dietitians provide support for Spinal cord injury patients with a weekly outpatient clinic dedicated to weight management with access to equipment to perform indirect calorimetry (to measure energy requirements)
Phone appointments and online consultations are also offered.