How to use your nose drops
Advice on how to use nose drops correctly
- Read the instructions on the label.
- Blow your nose unless the doctor has told you not to.
- Wash and dry your hands.
- Shake the bottle, and remove the cap. (If using a glass dropper check that it is not broken.)
- Stand or sit comfortably, with your head tilted backward. Alternatively you can lay down with your head over the edge of a bed or sofa.
- Breathing through your mouth, place the prescribed number of drops, usually two or three, into the nostril.
- Repeat for the other nostril if required.
- Do not let the tip of the bottle or dropper touch any part of your nose.
- Keep your head tilted backward for two or three minutes so that the drops can spread through your nose. Do not sniff. Sit up slowly.
- You may be able to taste the drops. This is normal.
- Replace the cap on the bottle.
- Do not use the drops for longer than recommended by your doctor.
- Once opened, most nose drops should be discarded a maximum of ONE month after opening. Check on the label or ask your pharmacist.
Always keep the container tightly closed and store in a cool place, or as directed on the label.
Who can I contact if I have any more questions?
If you have any further questions about your medicines contact the Patient Medicines Helpline within the Medicines Resource Centre on 01296 838220.
Opening hours: Monday – Friday 9-4pm.
Please remember that this leaflet is intended as general information only. We aim to make the information as up to date and accurate as possible, but please note that it is subject to change. Please therefore always check specific advice on any concerns you may have with your doctor.