Workforce Race Equality Standard Annual Report 2021-2022
‘’BHT is committed to building an inclusive culture that is intolerant of discrimination, bullying and harassment. We will create an environment where everyone feel included, supported and treated fairly. We do not tolerate bullying, harassment, discrimination or other negative behaviours’’
Neil Macdonald, Chief Executive Officer, Sept 2021
Implementation of the Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES) is a requirement for all NHS Provider organisations. BHT is expected to show progress against 9 indicators which measure whether or not employees from Ethnic Minority backgrounds have equal access to career opportunities and receive fair treatment in the workplace. This work requires the commitment, agreement and financial support of the Board.
Summary of WRES Progress in 2022
Our recruitment indicator has decreased for the fifth consecutive year, reducing from 2.44 in 2018 to 1. 25 in 2022. The ethnic diversity of the Trust Board is greater than that of the organisation.
Our 2022 data demonstrates that we continue to achieve parity of outcomes for access to training.
Our workforce ethnicity profile data (indicator 1) highlights an increase in the number of ethnic minority colleagues in Band 8a+ roles compared to last year.
There has been a slight deterioration in the metric relating to disciplinary cases this year, with an increase in the likelihood of colleagues from a minority ethnic background being involved in cases, compared to white colleagues.
In 2020, the Trust Board agreed two specific objectives to progress racial equality:
- The ethnic make-up of our Board and senior leaders will be 24% BAME, reflecting that of our workforce by 2022
– The ethnic make-up of our Board is more diverse than our workforce as a whole.
– The ethnic make-up of our senior leaders (band 8a – 9 and VSM) is 19.4%, so work remains.
- Our recruitment processes will be fair, with equal outcomes for BAME and white applicants by the end of 2021
– Our WRES Data shows that we have met this target.