Toggle site contrast Toggle Contract

Occupational Therapy

Occupational Therapists work with children, young people and their families to help remove barriers to children participating in everyday activities. Our Occupational Therapists work closely with children and young people to identify areas of strength and to build and develop skills.

Activities or ā€œoccupationsā€ children and young people may wish to develop participation skills in are:

Personal care occupations:

  • Dressing
  • Eating and drinking (using cutlery)
  • Washing themselves
  • Brushing their teeth

Productivity occupations:

  • Being able to attend to school
  • Using classroom tools such as a pencil, scissors and rulers

Leisure occupations:

  • Attending a dance or swimming lesson
  • Painting
  • Reading
  • Playing in the park with friends
  • Watching TV with the family
  • Any activity the child/young person finds enjoyable and fun.

We work with you, health, education and social care colleagues, to help your child get the most from their lives and achieve their potential.

Accessing our services

The Occupational Therapy Service see children from 0-19 with a Buckinghamshire GP, or a Buckinghamshire Educational Health and Care Plan (EHCP). Children and young people will be seen in clinic or in school setting depending on their needs.

Children and young people fitting our criteria for high or urgent health and social care needs and will be seen for a face to face assessment.

  • Children and young people requiring postural control advice/equipment who are at risk of developing contractures, respiratory complications or other ill health as a result of not being positioned correctly.
  • Children with severe developmental delay
  • Children requiring home equipment to be safe or to enable others to care for them safely
  • Dysphagia support (postural support/equipment)
  • Sensory based eating/drinking support if impact on weight/failure to thrive
  • Post-surgery rehabilitation
  • Equipment for hospital discharge
  • Equipment in school setting such as seating or moving and handling equipment.
  • Sensory behaviours causing significant participation concerns such as school refusal or break down of family/home setting.
  • Sensory behaviours resulting in harm to self or others.
  • Assessment for Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD)
  • Support for Chronic Fatigue
  • Educational health and care assessments as requested by the local authority.

Children and young people who are on a Chid in need plan/Child Protection plan/LAC/Trauma background and those with significant level of vulnerability within the family will also be considered for face to face assessment.

To make a referral into the service please complete our referral form .

Accessing an Occupational Therapist without the need for a referral

If your child does not meet our high/urgent health and care need criteria they are still able to access direct Occupational Therapy support via our website resources, live webinars and virtual advice lines. Ā No referral is needed and this support can be accessed by anyone supporting the child or young person.

Find out about our virtual advice sessions

Find out about our webinar sessions

Access our resources and guides


Our equipment team work alongside the housing occupational therapists to provide equipment in the home. This equipment is used to help children and young people access community activities, participate in family life and remain safe at home.

Personal hygiene equipment

This helps your child to have a dignified personal hygiene routine whilst minimising manual handling risks for their carers. Equipment can range from a simple bath chair to a more supportive showering system. We can advise you if your child needs adaptations and make a referral to the appropriate service.

Hoists and slings

These help to reduce the handling risk to a child or young person and their carers. They can be used in home and school for transfers such as from a chair to the toilet.

Sleeping and lying

We encourage 24 hour postural care by improving night time positioning. This can help promote regular sleep patterns and reduce the risk of pressure sores and contractures by using a sleep system. We may recommend profiling beds for ease of care and safety.

Please use our referral form to make an equipment request .

Occupational Therapy support you can access without a referral

Contact our Occupational Therapy team
Contact our Occupational Therapy team

01296 838000