Rothschild ward provides care for mums-to-be who require additional monitoring during pregnancy and postnatal care to mums and their babies. The ward is located on the first floor of the Claydon Wing at Stoke Mandeville Hospital.
When you arrive on the ward, we will orientate you to the environment, review your hospital notes and help you to feel comfortable.
It may be possible to go home within six hours to 24 hours after the birth. For women who have had an assisted or caesarean birth, the stay may be longer and this will be discussed with you when we plan your care.
During your stay your care will be provided by midwives, maternity care assistants, and nursery nurses, and you can expect daily checks of you and your baby. In particular, we will be looking at:
- Your feelings and needs
- Breastfeeding support
- Your physical recovery
- Baby’s wellbeing and feeding patterns
- Support with practical baby care skills, such as nappy changing and winding.
Mealtimes and refreshments
Hot lunches are served around 12pm daily with a lighter supper around 5pm. There is a self-service drinks machine for those times when you fancy a hot drink and can help yourself.
The hospital is able to offer menus to women with specific dietary requirements. Please notify a member of staff accordingly.
- Before you are transferred home, we will check that you know where you will be receiving your ongoing midwifery care, as well as ensuring that you have relevant telephone numbers.
- We will give you information about registering the birth of your baby and provide you with a copy of your baby’s unique National Health number.
- We will inform your community midwives that you will be coming home and advise you when to expect a visit. If you are travelling home by car you will need to bring a suitable car seat for your baby.
- We will also notify your GP and health visitor of the birth or your baby.