Way Forward Bucks – information for healthcare professionals
Way Forward Bucks (WFB) is a specialist weight loss service for adults in Buckinghamshire provided by Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust and Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust.
Are you assisting a patient who would benefit from Tier 3 support with their health and weight loss goals? Our effective and free NHS service can provide your patient with professional support in their time of need.
Way Forward Bucks (WFB)
This is a specialist weight loss service for adults served by the Buckinghamshire Clinical Commissioning Group. The staff team includes: a GP, Dietitians, CBT Practitioners (Psychologist or Cognitive Behavioural Therapists), Psychological Wellbeing Practitioners, an Assistant Psychologist and a Physical Activity Specialist.
Who is WFB for?
The WFB service is for adults who have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more (27.5 for individuals from Black, Asian, or other ethnic minorities) with other associated health problems or BMI of 40 (or 37.5 for individuals from Black, Asian, or other ethnic minorities) with or without health problems.
Adults with a BMI under 50 who are interested in pursuing Bariatric surgery will need to complete a 12 month Tier 3 programme prior to a Tier 4 referral. Individuals with a BMI above 50 are able to access a 6 month Tier 3 programme in order to prepare them for Bariatric surgery. Please check with the relevant bariatric surgery centre or CCG for more information about Tier 3 requirements if you wish to refer a person with a BMI of 50 or over for bariatric surgery.
Referral criteria information
Do not refer until:
- The person can attend and commit to 90% attendance throughout the year-long programme.
- The person can cope with participating in a group programme.
- The person has a history of unsuccessful weight loss or maintenance at Tier 2 (structured weight management programme, for example Weight Watchers or dietitian’s clinic).
The following exclusion criteria apply:
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Uncontrolled hypertension/ heart condition/ medical condition preventing increase in activity-level
- Currently open to therapy through mental health services
- Previous Bariatric Surgery (unless gastric band removed / deflated as there will be different nutritional needs)
- Eating disorder more appropriately treated by specialist services
- Significant concern about risk to self or to others
Only refer once stable:
- Psychiatric illness (additional notes: where there is a history of severe and enduring mental health problems, then advice should be sought from the care co coordinator or GP in helping to decide whether the individual is likely to be able to cope with this group programme where a change in lifestyle including eating behaviours will be encouraged)
- Cushing’s syndrome
- Significant physical health problems that could affect participation in the programme
This programme takes place over 12 months and can be attended in person or via digital platforms. This starts with ten weekly (or alternate week) group sessions followed by an individual review. The course then continues once a month for six group sessions and a final individual review at the end of 12 months. Interventions include nutrition and physical activity advice, but with a strong emphasis on psychological approaches to behavioural change.
We also offer the ‘Oviva Way to Wellness’ remote weight management programme. This gives access to the support of a dietitian and psychologist using an app, phone calls or video calling. This programme is ideal for those who find it difficult to get to appointments or for those who enjoy using technology to support their health.
Oviva Way to Wellness is a bespoke service and will create a nutritional plan and support package to suit each person.
Please send all referral forms with the client’s full medical history to: email@example.com
How to make a referral
Electronic referral forms for this service are on EMIS or DXS in all Bucks GP surgeries.
These can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 01865 901 600