How to make your event safe and legal


Thank you for planning an event to raise funds for Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust Charitable Fund.  When planning your event, you’ll need to make sure it is safe and legal and in line with the Code of Fundraising Practice

Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust Charitable Fund terms and conditions

You may also find our terms and conditions useful to read before putting on your fundraising event. (By fundraising for us you are accepting our terms and conditions.)

First Aid

St John’s Ambulance or Red Cross can help with first aid at your event.

Things to think about include:

  1. How many people will be attending
  2. The type of event and any associated risks
  3. Who will be attending, what are their ages and specific needs
  4. Where will your event be held
  5. How long will your event last
  6. What will the weather be like (this one’s not easy!!!)
  7. What are the closest medical facilities
  8. Have you got any experience from similar events
  9. What welfare and first aid facilities does the venue already have


If your event involves the public you will need to have Public Liability Insurance. Your chosen venue may already have insurance that covers your event, (please ask them).


The following may require a license:

  • alcohol or entertainment, including recorded music
  • holding a raffle, lottery or auction
  • doing a public money collection
  • putting up banners or signs in public areas.

This list doesn’t cover everything. Your local authority will be able to give you more information and any licences you need.

Food hygiene

The Food Standards Agency provides guidelines for preparing, handling and cooking food. If choosing a caterer, make sure they have a Food Hygiene Certificate and Public Liability Insurance.

Collecting money

You’ll need permission is collecting money in a public space.  Street collections require a licence from the local authority, which will have some rules for your collection.  Door-to-door collections are illegal without a licence. Please contact your local authority to apply for one.  If you are collecting on private property, such as a shopping centre, you need permission from the owner.

Handling money and keeping safe

When handling cash:

  • Have two people around when money is being handled and counted.
  • Use a secure container to collect cash e.g. a sealed container. Store change in a secure cash box.
  • Be alert when carrying money around.  If you are confronted by someone demanding the money, do not put up a fight, hand them the money straight away and report the matter to the police.
  • Bank the money as soon as possible.

Children at your event

Ensure that arrangements are in place for any children to be looked after and that their parent or guardian has given permission for them to take part.  You may need to carry out appropriate checks on any adults looking after children. The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) provides information and guidance. 

Suppliers or contractors

When choosing external suppliers at your event, always use a reputable company and keep copies of their Public Liability Insurance and risk assessment. If anything looks unsafe on the day, do not use the equipment or stop the activity.

Risk Assessment Guidance

A risk assessment needn’t be daunting.  You are simply looking at anything that may cause you or your participants harm and checking that you’ve taken the necessary precautions to prevent this from happening.

It's a good idea to keep a record of the risks for your event; you can use our risk assessment template.

Our risk assessment guidance and risk assessment checklist will also help you.