Neonatal outreach team
Who are we?
- We are the Neonatal Outreach Team based at Stoke Mandeville Hospital.
- We provide support for babies and their families after discharge home from the Neonatal Unit. We help you to prepare for taking your baby home and ensuring you feel confident and ready for the transition from hospital to home.
- We also ensure any relevant training is completed prior to discharge home. For example: Basic Life Support, home oxygen competencies, home tube feeding competencies, drawing up and administering medications.
Why might we be involved in your baby’s care?
- Babies weighing less than 2kg at discharge
- Babies born at 33 weeks and below
- Babies who require home oxygen
- Babies who go home partially tube feeding
- Babies who have poor weight gain and/or feeding problems
- Babies with complex/additional needs and/or complex medications
We will attempt to meet you on the Neonatal Unit prior to your baby going home. This will usually be done on a Tuesday morning during the doctor’s ward round.
If we are still visiting your baby when they reach 6 months of age we will transfer their care to the children’s community nurses (CCN’s) where you will continue to be supported by their team.
What services do we offer?
We offer information and support on breast and bottle feeding, bathing, going home on medication, safe sleeping guidelines, recognising signs of illness and who and how to access medical help.
• Basic Life Support (BLS)
Basic Life Support is offered to parents or guardians that have had a baby on the Neonatal Unit. The BLS training is usually carried out prior to rooming-in &/or discharge home.
• Discharge planning
We work as part of the multidisciplinary team to help with the discharge process to ensure everything is put into place ready for discharge home.
If your baby has additional needs such as home oxygen or tube feeds then we are involved in this process.
• Home visits & telephone contact
Our home visits vary depending on the individual and are tailored to suit each baby’s needs.
We can be contacted via telephone to offer advice and support and to discuss any issues or concerns (Please see back page of leaflet for contact details).
• Liaising with other relevant services
We work alongside other health care professionals who may be involved in your baby’s care. These include: midwives, GP’s, dieticians, speech & language therapists (SALT), physiotherapists, social workers, health visitors and hospital consultants.
If you need to contact us, our details are:
- Julie: 07827 253255
- Jo: 07825 112867
- Emily: 07788 411853
- Pam: 07557 564184
Monday – Friday 8:30am-5pm
(Outside of hours, please contact: GP, NHS 111, 999, A&E)
The Neonatal Outreach Team Neonatal Unit
Stoke Mandeville Hospital Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire HP21 8AL